Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Edinburgh Yarn Festival!

This past Saturday was the first Edinburgh Yarn Festival. It was fabulous, and I really hope they do it again next year! I'll definitely sign up to volunteer. Having a fibre event like this so close to home was great. It really took the pressure off - I didn't feel like I had to see everything all at once, since I knew I could wander back home and come back again if necessary. I didn't take too many pictures, but hopefully these give a feel for the atmosphere.

When I arrived, I was greeted by this bizarre creature.

 photo IMG_6139_zps5dc02278.jpg

It was incredibly crowded on my first circuit of the stalls, but by the time I made it around for a second look, it had calmed down a little. Still, the place was heaving.

 photo IMG_6144_zps0c63cf0a.jpg

I dropped most of my loosely-determined budget at Old Maiden Aunt. The stall was placed in a sort of bottle neck / dead-end, which exacerbated the crowds... It is easy to see why everyone was heading there, though. So much beautiful stuff.

 photo IMG_6140_zps159f6b94.jpg

Giant creepy clown face watched over the proceedings...

 photo IMG_6147_zpseb5fb984.jpg

And here's Ysolda's big rack-o-samples. The fangirl in me did squeal inwardly at handling these original, beautiful pieces. I declined the offer to try some on, mostly because I was wearing a soggy raincoat and didn't want to fling moisture everywhere. (The weather that day was pretty awful - all the more reason to frolic inside with the wool).

 photo IMG_6142_zpsbec41c59.jpg

All in all a great time. It was pretty overwhelming to see all this gorgeous stuff in person - most of my yarn-ogling happens on the internet, which just isn't the same. I always feel a bit awkward chatting with people who do things I admire - but everyone I spoke to was lovely. I picked up so many cards to facilitate future internet purchases, in addition to the yarn I bought on the day. Swag pictures coming up!

5 comments:

  1. I am swooning at this fiber festival. Unsold a is such a sweetie in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, a fiber party right in your back yard - doesn't get much better than that! And I agree with your assessement of that clown face - it is creepy. :)

    Can't wait to see the suuuwag. One of the best things about fiber festivals is the ability to see and touch the yarn up close. It's a great way to really learn about what's out there and what might work up well in a future project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got really excited just reading the title! Hooray for so much yarn in one place! I'm glad you had somewhere so wonderful and fun to go on such a icky day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lucky you! Fiber festivals are the best. It's always fun to be around people who love yarn and knitting. Can't wait to see what you brought home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome :) I love fibre festivals

    ReplyDelete