Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Two hats

Now is the time I talk about the other 2012 FOs that I forgot to mention before. I made two hats - one for each of my grandmothers. Both from patterns I'd used before, and both in Cascade 220 - I'm not usually so consistent. Once I finish a project, I often think that I would like to make the same thing again at some point, but I rarely get around to doing it.

The first is a Coronet. I previously made my grandmother one in blue, and she requested another in red.

Photobucket

I used Cascade 220 in an awesome brilliant red and I kind of wanted to keep it. I never used to like bright red, but it is definitely growing on me.

For my other grandmother I made Gretel by Ysolda Teague. A few years ago, I made a Gretel for myself, but it turned out way too slouchy for me, so I hardly wore it. This time, I made the "fitted" size, and it turned out a little small-seeming, but I think it will be okay.

Photobucket

It went really quickly, in contrast to my memories of previous Gretel. That one was a larger hat and I was inexperienced at cabling. This time cables are my favourite, and I can cable without a needle. What a difference that makes.

Photobucket

I don't think the distinct tam is the right shape/style for my head, but I hope Grandma likes it. Having made it twice, I almost want to make another, perhaps in the "regular" size, for myself.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. They both look great - I love the bright red yarn, so cheery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great.
    I knitted Gretal last year from the Stitch n Birch book- there is only one size included. I wonder what size it is... Mine was a bit too large, not that I swatched for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pieces. I haven't made a single hat for myself. I just don't wear them. I think I need at least one though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually never seen Gretal before, that looks like such a fun pattern to knit! Your grandmothers are going to be thrilled! I'm actually the same way with repeating patterns though, there is just so much to learn so why stick with the same pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great looking hats! I am in love with that shade of red, too. Might need to get a hold of that yarn in just that color for a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are cute hats. I love how your grandmothers want you to knit for them and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete