Pages

Saturday, February 04, 2012

bread FAIL

Yesterday I made soda bread.

Photobucket

Looks lovely, if I do say so myself. I was pretty excited about it, and took lots of pictures when I got it out of the oven.

Unfortunately, it turned out inedible. I'm not sure what happened, since I'm positive I followed the recipe to the letter - this one, from The Really Good Life. Or maybe that was my problem. What made it inedible was its incredible saltiness. I nearly always cut down on the amount of salt in recipes, but this time I didn't. Other people don't seem to have had a salt problem with this recipe, so maybe it's just me... Still, it was so salty that even my dude balked and spat out the piece he tasted. Disappointing! If I try this recipe again, needless to say I'll cut down salt to a mere pinch.

Photobucket

Still, it does look gorgeous, doesn't it. ;)

8 comments:

  1. It does look really good...but I'm happy to read that other people end up with inedible food sometimes. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it failed, but i does look delicious if that's any consolation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could bread that looks so good taste so awful? I hope you give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a shame, it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, what a shame! It really does look delicious. Maybe you could save it for breadcrumbs or croutons?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm shame about the bread. I checked the recipe. I guess it was too salty since both bicarb and salt together is 2tsps of saltiness. Quite a bit. I noticed other commentors had issues with the taste too. I keep missing you these days. Hope to speak soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also occurred to me than we might have used different tsp measurements. I thought mine were standard, though (5ml)

      Delete