Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

In reverse

It was time. Liesl, the little lacey cardigan that served me well for so long, has retired. It was getting shapeless, stretched out, and scruffy; a cardigan for wearing around the house only, these days. The yarn itself looked okay, so I decided to reclaim it for a future knit. A bit sad to say goodbye, but I'm glad I can recycle the yarn into something new!

Photobucket

Things I learned while unraveling a well-worn, completed sweater

I am better at weaving in ends than I thought.
This yarn has terrible yardage, or maybe it was just full of knots, or both - I don't remember what I was thinking when I knit it, but there were some surprisingly short lengths of yarn in there that I'll probably have to discard when I knit it up again. I may be getting more impatient with yarn faults as I age...

Photobucket

I can't remember why I decided to sew the buttons on backwards, now that I can see their fronts again. A handful of reclaimed buttons is inspiring.

Photobucket

Good bye Liesl. See the cardigan in its former glory, back in 2008.

4 comments:

  1. The yarn really does still look great. Too bad about unraveling, as the original pictures show a really fabulous knit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you get to reuse the yarn, and rediscover the buttons :) Very sensible plan for a tired knit (you know, it never occurred to me that it was possible to do this - how silly!)

    Beautiful colour, so it's good that it will be reborn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never bear to do that... So much effort to just rip it all out. But then I'm sentimental about my clothes, and I hope you find a good use for the yarn

    ReplyDelete