Wednesday, October 12, 2011

In reverse

It was time. Liesl, the little lacey cardigan that served me well for so long, has retired. It was getting shapeless, stretched out, and scruffy; a cardigan for wearing around the house only, these days. The yarn itself looked okay, so I decided to reclaim it for a future knit. A bit sad to say goodbye, but I'm glad I can recycle the yarn into something new!

Photobucket

Things I learned while unraveling a well-worn, completed sweater

I am better at weaving in ends than I thought.
This yarn has terrible yardage, or maybe it was just full of knots, or both - I don't remember what I was thinking when I knit it, but there were some surprisingly short lengths of yarn in there that I'll probably have to discard when I knit it up again. I may be getting more impatient with yarn faults as I age...

Photobucket

I can't remember why I decided to sew the buttons on backwards, now that I can see their fronts again. A handful of reclaimed buttons is inspiring.

Photobucket

Good bye Liesl. See the cardigan in its former glory, back in 2008.

4 comments:

  1. The yarn really does still look great. Too bad about unraveling, as the original pictures show a really fabulous knit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you get to reuse the yarn, and rediscover the buttons :) Very sensible plan for a tired knit (you know, it never occurred to me that it was possible to do this - how silly!)

    Beautiful colour, so it's good that it will be reborn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never bear to do that... So much effort to just rip it all out. But then I'm sentimental about my clothes, and I hope you find a good use for the yarn

    ReplyDelete