Monday, January 17, 2011

FO: Idlewood

Say hello to my first FO of 2011.

Pattern: Idlewood by Cecily Glowik MacDonald

Yarn: Texere yarns Troon Tweed in the Donkey Tweed colourway

Photobucket

Mods: I went down to 5.5 mm needle and used a 6.0 mm needle for the cowl. I made the 36 3/4 in size at a smaller gauge, hoping to end up with about 34 in. It seems to have worked - the finished sweater has some negative ease, but not so much that the loose gauge stretches out.

I added extra rounds of garter stitch on the sleeves and bottom edge since the garter stitch edge of the cowl was rolling like crazy. In the end, I like how the cowl rolls, so that part isn't an issue, but I'm glad the sleeves and bottom edge don't.

I made the pockets as swatches, but in the end decided to leave them off the sweater. I couldn't get them to look right, and although they look adorable on some people, I didn't think they were working for me.

Photobucket

Notes:
According to my Ravelry notes, this took me exactly 2 months. Since I spent much of that time knitting gifts, this actually felt like a much quicker knit. One of my quickest sweaters, really, despite the fact that the cowl itself almost counts as another body of a sweater. No sleeves, but it does have two bodies.

Photobucket

The photo above shows the colour a little better: it is brown-gray, not just gray. (Next time I will choose a more contrasting backdrop and not get photos in front of something the same colour.)

I had a hard time figuring out the increases - the videos and photo-tutorials out there for k1 b/r or equivalent mostly just confused me more. Maybe I was being especially dense. In the end, I THINK I did them right with a little coaching over the phone from a knitting expert; anyway, they look fine, so whatever I did worked.

Photobucket
I can use it as a hood, but I probably won't.

Idlewood is really warm and comfortable. I know I will wear this a lot. I was a little worried that the yarn would be too scratchy - it is hearty and sheepy and not particularly soft. However, it doesn't irritate my neck at all. (Maybe I'm tough? Heh). I am convinced this yarn will be durable as well, despite loose gauge, which is awesome. No pilling please! It does shed woolly hairs a bit, but I don't really mind.

Photobucket
Told you it eats my head!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! A+ for fit -- it fits you like a glove. And it's super cute. And your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater came out wonderfully I love the cowl portion of it. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out super! I hope you get a lot of fun wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of in love with this sweater (and it looks amazing on you), the drape of the cowl is so pretty! And I think leaving the pockets off was a good decision, it looks great as-is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very stylish and flattering! Great FO :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It suits you so well. I really like the garter edging, it sets it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, that looks so good on you...such a useful item to have in your wardrobe too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really suits you. i love the huge cowl.

    I never do knits with hip-height pockets. Personally, I don't need to attract anyone's attention to my hips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! It looks awesome, and I really like how you've styled it. The last photo is really funny. : ) I didn't realize exactly how huge the cowl was until I saw that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh that is lovely. I love cowls!

    ReplyDelete