Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Location, Location, Location: knitting and crochet blog week, day 5

I'm getting to the point where I am comfortable knitting most places. I'm kind of shy, so knitting in public didn't really appeal to me at first - having to field questions from curious strangers! Ack! But I've mostly gotten over that now.

This past semester I used knitting as a relaxation tool more than I ever have before, and carried around my Noro knee sock project to get a few calming stitches in before classes and during breaks. Pretty soon, some of my classmates and even instructors were keeping tabs on my progress. Too bad I still haven't finished the socks! I also discovered a few more knitters among my library school classmates - there were at least 6 in my children's literature class.

Photobucket
I knit on the train, or on long car journeys.

Knitting often happens in front of my computer if I'm using youtube to figure out techniques, or if I haven't printed off the pattern I'm using. Also, I tend to knit when talking on Skype. Skype is an important communication tool for me since my boyfriend lives excessively far away. I'm not sure he's always impressed when I say, "See! I'm making a sock!" and wave it in front of the webcam, though.

Now that I'm back home and the weather has been usually warm for spring (other than the snowfall the other day pffft), I have been doing some knitting on the patio!

Photobucket
The project on the chair is Sugar Maple from 2-at-a-Time Socks, by Melissa Morgan-Oakes - my first socks done two at a time. (Disaster stories forthcoming.)


knitcroblo5

1 comment:

  1. I for the most part have my laptop in front of me too. I have friends I chat with on Skype who are knitters lol. I like the cable pattern.

    ReplyDelete