Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Half an FO: A formerly secret knit is revealed.

Photobucket

I've finished the first of my Norwegian Snail Mittens by Adrian Bizilia. These were supposed to be a Christmas gift, but since I didn't finish them in time, they are no longer a secret.

This is my second stranded colourwork project ever, so I've been extra-paranoid about my tension. This first mitten is still unblocked, but I'm crossing my fingers that the crumply bits will even out.

Photobucket

It looked like the mitten would turn out too long, and I wanted to make it a bit less pointy, so I modified the chart a bit, and started the decreases more gradually. Not clear if this was a good decision, but it seems okay and I'm sticking with it. Plus, I did a different cuff because I just wasn't feeling those welts that are in the original. And I don't have a third colour for accent, but if I find one by the time I finish the second mitten I'll get on with the duplicate stitch. So far so good. I adore the snails.

The Entomology Mittens are next on my colourwork list. I have so much love for the quirky motifs in helloyarn mittens!

Even though I still have to knit the other mitten, I feel a sense of accomplishment seeing the first one finished. Now to avoid second-mitten-syndrome. Casting on momentarily.

0 comments:

Post a Comment