Pages

Thursday, June 05, 2008

cookie time!

Almond cookies

Almond cookies. I consider these my most successful attempt in a while - I modified the recipe heavily enough that I consider it my own, but sometimes that has disasterous results.

This time? Delicious, almond-y, crunchy, crumbly cookies. I expect I could have made them softer or chewier if I'd used butter or margarine, but I almost never use solid fat in baking anymore. Next time I'll use a little less sugar and slightly more spice.

Almond cookies

Almond cookies
2 cups white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (or more)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
pinch salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
whole almonds

Mix dry ingredients, including sugar. Add oil: mixture will be moist but crumbly. Lightly beat egg with almond extract and add to the main mixture.

Roll into balls ~1 inch or slightly larger and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Place an almond on top of each cookie and press in slightly.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 325 F.

0 comments:

Post a Comment