Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

FO: the Shawl of Happiness

In my month's absence from the blogosphere, my whole family descended on our neighbourhood, I got married, went on honeymoon on a boat, got some more freckles, and came back. We've been back for almost a week, and I'm still trying to remember what passed for routine before the wedding stuff took over. All that to say, I have a long-overdue FO to share.

My wedding shawl! I didn't have the presence of mind on the day to request that our photographer get some shawl wingspan shots... But here are a few photos that show the shawl in its appropriate context.

Leah-And-Gus0145_crop_sm

Pattern: High Seas by Kieran Foley

Yarn: Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace

Photobucket

Notes:
I added an extra lace repeat to make it a bit longer, but otherwise didn't do any modifications. The pattern is very clear, despite the complicated lace chart; stitch markers between chart sections saved my life. Also, I obsessively used lifelines every half-repeat. I did make plenty of small mistakes, but since none of them were massively terribly, I never bothered ripping back.

Before blocking, the shawl was about 130 cm long. With blocking it stretched to almost 2 m along the longest angle. If that makes any sense - it's a parallelogram, and I measured it across its whole length, not just one side. I'm sure there is a better way of saying that. Whatever.

Photobucket

The shawl kept me warm in the chilly Scottish spring - although part of that was probably my adrenaline and excitement keeping me heated. We did have perfect weather, though, or as perfect as you can ask for in Edinburgh. That is, it only rained while we were inside. Pretty much. In any case, I have since used the shawl as a scarf, and I know I will get plenty of use from it that way in the future.

Photobucket

Photos are by Rod Irvine.

More FOs at Tami's blog!

23 comments:

  1. Wow- your photos are beautiful, your shawl is stunning, and your wedding looks just lovely!!!
    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shawl is gorgeous! And I love your dress too. Congratulations on the wedding! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, you, the shawl, your dress, the surroundings. Very many congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bride! I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! And that is a wonderful shawl, it looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!!!! On finishing the shawl and on getting married. Best to you both and well wishes for a long, happy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You look beautiful and the shawl does too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Congratulations ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked the perfect pattern - it came out wonderfully, and you were a star bride! Love your tulips as well - so simple, so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, you look beautiful! I love the finished shawl, it goes perfectly with your dress. Glad the weather held for you, and how great that you can still find a daily use for your shawl to remind you always of your big day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the shawl and YOU are beautiful. Congratulations on your marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Congratulations! The ceremony looks like it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunningly gorgeous. The perfect wedding accessory. Congratulations on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! It looks like such a beautiful day! You two look wonderful together. And the shawl, I'm speechless, it is so intricate and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Your shawl is beautiful and it looks like you had a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shawl, your dress...everything is beautiful!!! Congratulations on your wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww congrats! And what a lovely wedding shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations - and your shawl is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! Your dress is totally stunning too.

    (Just another RavelWed librarian here:-B)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! The wedding shawl is so beautiful and looks perfect with that stunning dress. Such amazing pictures of you and your groom! I hope that we get to see more wedding pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a bit late to the party, but congratulations! Beautiful shawl, beautiful dress, you look stunning! Looks like it was a perfect day :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Catching up on your blog... you looked even more fabulous in the flesh...
    You are fabulous. So proud to have you as my daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow!! I just discovered this through Ravelry - funnily enough, I just cast off High Seas for my own wedding, which is in a week. Yours is absolutely stunning, and a great match with your dress - my dress is also relatively straight across the front and laced in the back, so I'm now very confident that mine will look great too :)

    ReplyDelete