Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

FO: Textured Yoke Cardigan With a Long Undescriptive Name

The brown blob / devil's tower is now a brown cardigan!

Photobucket

Pattern: 113-17 jacket with raglan sleeve and pattern on yoke etc etc etc by DROPS design

Yarn: Rowan Pure Wool Aran

Mods:
-Cast on 11 fewer stitches and omitted garter stitch button bands
-Picked up 98 stitches each side for 2x2 rib button bands afterwards
-Replaced seed stitch edges, neckline, and cuffs with 2x2 ribbing
-Replaced p3tog section in the yoke with seed stitch
-Added some length in the torso
-Did 3-needle-bind-off to join live underarm stitches, rather than seaming
-Changed the top lace motif to be stockinette instead of garter stitch

Notes:
I ran out of yarn as I neared the top of the yoke. Alas, the new yarn I bought was a different dye lot. I alternated skeins for the rest of the yoke, but the button bands are done entirely in the new dye-lot, and it is noticeable if you look closely. (But not so in the photos.) I don't really mind, though.

Photobucket

This pattern rewards determination. Basically, I love the finished product, but I didn't enjoy deciphering the instructions. This was my first attempt at a DROPS pattern, so that may be why I had some difficulty. Lots of people on ravelry have mentioned this pattern's idiosyncracies in their notes, so I was sort of prepared for it, but I'm glad the lazy side of me didn't win.

The chart makes sense in its own crazy way, but it wasn't written following the chart standards I'm familiar with. Since I am pretty used to reading charts by this point, I had a hard time wrapping my head around this one at the beginning. That makes me sound really set in my ways and a slave to the knitting establishment! Oops. What have I become?? Maybe I should be congratulating DROPS on their innovative approach to chart design. Anyway. There are also some weird terminology/translation issues, but with some thinking and trial-and-error it all worked out. In a way, it's good that this pattern made me think. I need to knit more things that require my brain!

Photobucket

This would probably look better with waist or maybe back shaping. I suspect it's rumply in the back because there isn't any. Since I can't see myself from the back, I don't really mind - it fits really well otherwise.

There was a button mishap. I made the mistake of not watching when the clerk at the store counted out ten buttons for me. One of them was cracked and splitting, which I found out when I got home. Frustrated as I was, I considered taking them back, but laziness triumphed. I got over it by deciding I only needed nine buttons instead of ten. Problem solved.

Photobucket

More FOs at Tami's Amis

17 comments:

  1. Lovely Lovely! It fits you perfectly and will be so versatile in brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sweater. I'm still working up the guts to knit my first sweater, I'm mostly a sock knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful and I love the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so beautiful. Looks like it fits great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore that cardigan! Love the pattern and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sweater! And yeah, I actually go looking for patterns that will make me think sometimes; they're not always easy to search for, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the yoke on your cardigan. Who needs 10 buttons anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous, and it fits you so well! The colour is great - it will go with everything. I applaud you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! I love how it looks on you.

    - Lina
    photoknitdog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color and the details. Beautiful! It looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful, I admire your work on all the details, I think my lazy self would have given up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooo I like that cardigan! Im not usually a bown fan but thats a very nice shade..very chocolatey!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely! The buttons are super! Bummer about there only being 9, but they're good enough to count for 10.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks gorgeous. Love the buttons. I don't think it looks bad in the back, cardigans usually aren't fitted anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the sweater-- good work deciphering the, ahem, "unconventional" charts. And who needs a tenth button? P.S. I nominated your blog for an award :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glorious and such a great colour :0) - so sorry to hear about the frustration reading the pattern/instructions - but you cracked it - and great you only needed 9 buttons. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Bravo to you for figuring out the instructions and chart. I will add this one to my faves and use your mods:) I love the buttons and how they go so well with the brown yarn. And the sweater fits great on you!

    ReplyDelete