Pages

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

WIP Wednesday: breaking my own rules

First, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who found me via the Love Your Blog challenge and stayed to take a look. It's crazy how many blogs I've added to my blogroll just from Monday's festivities - I'm looking forward to finding even more fun reads over the coming weeks!

Second, I have a newish WIP that is breaking all the rules.

I'm making some plain socks using a Fleegle Heel, as a gift.

 photo IMG_8364_zpszertbxv4.jpg

The yarn is Fyberspates Sheila's Sock, and it's not electric blue like it appears - more periwinkles and purples.

 photo IMG_6057_zps68ff1d9d.jpg

Rules broken:

No Vanilla Socks

This isn't a hard and fast rule, but I have so many non-vanilla sock patterns in my queue/favourites that I never have any desire to make plain ones. Unless they are stripey. But these are going really quickly, so maybe these will change my mind about vanilla socks. Also I might try something fun and fancy at the cuff, but I haven't decided what yet.

Deviating from the Stash Match project

I gave myself plenty of scope for changing my mind when I started the stash match project, so it's really fine. This is the first major change I've made, though, so it feels a bit rebellious. The yarn is just a perfect colour for the intended recipient, and I'm still feeling a bit burnt out on cables from my last socks, so I currently have no desire to make the project I originally allocated the yarn for, as gorgeous as it is. There will be other yarns and I may yet come back to it.

Using my "too pretty for socks" yarn, for socks

I have all my digits crossed that it will be okay, since these are meant to be bed socks, and the yarn is technically superwash. somehow knitting gift socks out of obscenely pretty yarn seems more justifiable to me. I know this is irrational, since I should totally use the best for myself, and I can't know if the gift recipient is going to take care of the socks lovingly... but there it is.

 photo IMG_8358_zpsypwpno2u.jpg

So there it is. Do you have any knitting rules, and do you like to break them?

Linking up with Stitch Along Wednesday this week.

7 comments:

  1. That color is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rules are meant to be broken! great color !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wool looks really lovely, both before it was knitted and after. I have wool envy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first sock yarn rocks. There are so many heel techniques out there. I wish someone created an index so we'd know the differences in how they fit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous blue. Break those rules, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having sock knitting envy just looking at these. Beautiful color. One rule that I've broken recently is impulsively buying & starting a complex project (fox paws) at midnight. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the depth of color in this yarn. I support you breaking any rules you feel like. There are no knitting police. :) (although, I've never heard of this too pretty for socks yarn. that's crazy talk. :) )

    ReplyDelete